Monday, March 20, 2017

Man-day Monday.....THEM



Them

Hello Friends, 
Welcome to the wonderful world of manhood on the farm………..with four women. I will do my best to bring a bit of my insanity to you daily, but honestly, don’t hold your breath. I am a man you know. Now I know what you’re thinking, any man could write this and you’re probably right, but not any man lives on a farm with four women. So here goes….

Let me start with me, it may be the only time I get to. I was born and raised in New Jersey where I spent most of my teen years in the fire service. From shortly after my 13th birthday until about 3 years ago, minus a 4 year stint in the Marine Corps, I was a little boy playing with fire trucks in NJ and South Carolina. I loved my job. I have rescued people from burning buildings, cut people out of cars and performed CPR in the worst conditions. I thought I had done a lot, but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, prepared me for this. No, I’m not done talking about me yet; hang on.  When I left the fire service, we were graced with the opportunity to live out our dream of moving to Maine. And here we are, on 5 ½ acres with chickens, ducks, guinea fowl, a dog and cat and whatever wildlife walks, crawls or slithers into our yard.  Hang on one more minute, almost there.  Now we love it here and won’t leave till they kick us out. But a year ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease and so the fun began.  I can’t do the things I am so used to doing, mending the fence, herding the cattle and bailing the hay; ok not really but a guy can dream.  The repairs to the coop, herding the kids and mowing the grass falls on them.

Them….The wife, my soul mate, the woman that’s picking up the slack. She keeps me in line but the rooster kicks her butt. The loudest screamer of the four by far.  The oldest, we will call her Teen Minion. She’s my protégé, co-pilot, female teenager and comedian, all rolled into one. Sarcastic and beautiful, she keeps me on my toes. She’s me and I can’t blame anyone for that, but she’s been my “girlfriend” since the day she was born. Some days I’d be lost without her. Middle minion, well she’s been a fighter since the day one, (a story for another day).  She’s our prayer warrior, artist, fashion designer, future chef and free spirit. She wants to be me right now and in an hour fly off to Paris to put on a fashion show. She’s awesome. Then there is HER, we don’t dare say her name, ever! Ok it’s not that bad but man oh man if she had been first, this story would be so much different. She’s Shirley Temple and Robin Williams, she can sucker you in with her smile and drop you with her stare. She loves to have fun, but can end yours at a moment’s notice. She’s my peanut and I love her anyway, (though it may be from the nut house soon). I have a son also but he escaped the confines long ago. Wickedly smart and he makes me proud. Those are the women, it’s too late in life for me to start drinking, so if you have suggestions I’d love to hear them.

They are my rocks, the reason I wake every morning and why I’ll fight till the end. This is our car ride on life’s highway from my view behind the wheel (for as long as they let me drive). Let’s be honest; four women in a car, this will be about the only time I’ll be allowed to talk.  Oh they wanna get going again, maybe they will let me pick the radio station, no it’s the Taylor Swift cd again. Pray for me! See you soon……..


“A man is not complete until he has seen the baby he has made.”  - Sammy Davis Jr.





No comments:

Post a Comment

"How very good and pleasant it is when kindred live together in unity!"
Psalm 133:1

Thank you for visiting me! I love reading your comments! :)
Warmly, Jamie